Into the Storm: Lessons in Teamwork from the Treacherous Sydney to Hobart Ocean Race
Dennis Perkins | Jillian Murphy
- Regular price
- Sale price
Quantity must be 1 or more
Free shipping on all orders through midnight CST 12/1/20
In the face of turmoil and tragedy, a crew of “amateur” sailors piloted their tiny vessel--the AFR Midnight Rambler--through a treach... Read More
In the face of turmoil and tragedy, a crew of “amateur” sailors piloted their tiny vessel--the AFR Midnight Rambler--through a treacherous storm in order to achieve victory in a world-renowned sailing competition. Their triumph--perhaps even their survival--owes itself to their astonishing commitment to teamwork: an alchemy of cooperation, trust, planning, and execution. Author Dennis N.T. Perkins chronicles their nearly four-day ordeal and draws parallels to the world of business, revealing how teams can work together to overcome obstacles and succeed during difficult times. The Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race is among the most demanding sailing competitions in the world. Unpredictable seas make the approximately-630-nautical-mile course grueling under the best conditions, but the 1998 race proved to be the most perilous to date when a sudden and violent storm struck. Winds gusted over 100 mph and monstrous 80-foot waves towered over boat masts. Six sailors perished and another 55 were saved in what became the largest search and rescue operation in Australia's history. But even while bigger, better-equipped yachts attempted to maneuver around the storm, Ed Psaltis and his crew on the AFR Midnight Rambler made the daring decision to head directly into its path. Winner of the 2013 Small Business Book Awards from Small Business Trends, Into the Storm will help your team achieve extraordinary feats--together. Illustrated with examples from the story and compelling case studies, this engaging book provides the resources and tools to support teams on their sometimes-tumultuous journey to success. Read Less
- Contributor(s)Dennis Perkins , Jillian Murphy
- About the Contributor(s) DENNIS PERKINS is the author of Leading at The Edge and CEO of Syncretics Group, a consulting firm dedicated to...DENNIS PERKINS is the author of Leading at The Edge and CEO of Syncretics Group, a consulting firm dedicated to helping leaders and teams thrive under conditions of adversity, uncertainty, and change. A graduate of the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, he successfully completed his first Sydney Hobart Race in 2006. JILLIAN B. MURPHY is the Director of Client Services at Syncretics. show more
- Publish Date03/06/2018
- Format Hardcover
- Weight (lbs)1.27 lb
- Case Weight (lbs)30.48 lb
- Dimensions 9.25(h) x 6.38(w) x 1.0(d) inches
- Price $12.48
eBooks purchased here are fulfilled by our partner, Glose. Please note that:
- For all eBook purchases, you will be prompted to create an account or login with your existing Leadership Essentials username and password. This ensures accurate delivery of your items.
- To access your eBook(s) after purchasing, you can download the free Glose app or read instantly on your browser by logging into Glose.com using the same email address and password used for your Leadership Essentials account.
- E-Books fulfilled through Glose cannot be printed, downloaded as PDF, or read in other digital readers (like Kindle or Nook).
- For more information about how to access eBooks purchased on Leadership Essentials, click here for our FAQs.