The Big Thing: How to Complete Your Creative Project Even if You're a Lazy, Self-Doubting Procrastinator Like Me - Audiobook (Unabridged)
- Regular price
- Sale price
Phyllis Korkki, a New York Times journalist, explains why it’s important for people to pursue big creative projects and identifies both the obstacles and the productive habits that emerge on the path to completion—including those she experienced writing this book.
Whether it’s the Great American Novel or a groundbreaking new app, many people want to create a Big Thing, but finding the motivation to get started, let alone complete the work, can be daunting. In The Big Thing, New York Times business writer and editor Phyllis Korkki combines real-life stories, science, and insights from her own experience to illuminate the factors that drive people to complete big creative projects—and the obstacles that threaten to derail success.
While discussing her own Big Thing—the book you’re holding now—Korkki explores the individual and collaborative endeavors of others: from memoirs, art installations, and musical works to theater productions, small businesses, and charities. She identifies the main aspects of a Big Thing, including meaningful goals, focus and effort, the difficulties posed by the demands of everyday life, and the high risk of failure and disappointment. Korkki also breaks down components of the creative process and the characteristics that define it, and offers her thoughts on avoiding procrastination, staying motivated, scheduling a routine, and overcoming self-doubt and the restrictions of a day job.
With a refreshing dose of honesty, The Big Thing doesn’t minimize the negative side of such pursuits—including the fact that big projects are hard to complete and raise difficult questions about one’s self-worth. While many books on the subject of creativity are earnest manuals that make the process sound fun and easy, so long as you follow the rules, The Big Thing is a welcome antidote—never sugarcoating the experience or reducing it to simplistic principles, but offering practical insights anyone can use to get started on their own creative project.Inspiring, wise, humorous, and good-natured, The Big Thing is a meditation on the importance of self-expression and purpose. Read Less
- Contributor(s)Phyllis Korkki
- Narrator(s) Sandy Rustin
- About the Contributor(s) Phyllis Korkki is an assignment editor and reporter for the New York Times Sunday Business section.Phyllis Korkki is an assignment editor and reporter for the New York Times Sunday Business section. show more
- Publish Date08/09/2016
- Format Digital Audio - Unabridged Edition
- Running Time007:42:18
- Price $15.39
eBook Details: eBooks purchased here are fulfilled by our partner, Glose. Please note that:
- For all eBook purchases, you will be prompted to create an account or login with your existing Leadership Essentials username and password. This ensures accurate delivery of your items.
- To access your eBook(s) after purchasing, you can download the free Glose app or read instantly on your browser by logging into Glose.com. To log in, select OTHER SIGN IN/LOGIN OPTIONS and then click SIGN IN/LOG IN WITH HARPERCOLLINS, using the same email address and password used for your Leadership Essentials account.
- E-Books fulfilled through Glose cannot be printed, downloaded as PDF, or read in other digital readers (like Kindle or Nook).
- For more information about how to access eBooks purchased on Leadership Essentials, click here for our FAQs.
- At checkout, you will be prompted to create an account (or login to your existing Leadership Essentials account). You will use the same username and password to log in to the eCourse portal and access your courses.
- After purchase, you will receive a confirmation email from us with a link to the portal and your eCourse(s).
- Please note: If you are purchasing eCourses in bulk for your team or organization, please email firstname.lastname@example.org after your purchase with your order number and the name of your organization. We will be in touch with you to set up your team on the platform.
- If you have questions about eCourses, feel free to reach out to us via Live Chat at the bottom right corner of your screen, by submitting a ticket to our customer service team, or by calling us at 1-800-250-5308. For more information check out our FAQs here.