You Can't Know It All: Leading in the Age of Deep Expertise - Audiobook (Unabridged)
- Regular price
- Sale price
Today’s organizations are packed with experts in every area, from marketing to risk to sales to IT. Many of these people are also leaders, heading teams or large departments. They lead because they know more than the rest of their groups. They are followed because of their credibility as experts.
The toughest transition in business comes when expert leaders are asked to move beyond their expertise and lead a less homogeneous group. Suddenly experts face a new set of problems. They struggle to gain basic competence in dozens of areas without having to become the expert in every aspect. In Wanda Wallace’s experience, this move—from expert leader to a broader kind of authority—requires a new mind-set about how to lead.
Wallace explains what few people understand: how to add value as a leader when you’re dealing with an ever-growing set of responsibilities over which you have little detailed knowledge. The work you do and the way you interact with people must also change. Managing now requires a light touch and a different approach to delegation. Above all, managing is about recognizing that while you may not do all the work of your team, you must enable the team to do the work. In this world, trust becomes essential.
In You Can’t Know It All, Wallace presents the coaching model she has developed to address the challenges of this transition. She offers strategies for individuals to navigate their new roles and to combine their expertise with their leadership responsibilities. She gives essential advice on the fundamental change in mind-set that this shift requires.
This invaluable handbook offers novice and experienced managers alike insights into their own careers and explains why their star performers may suddenly be floundering, and provides essential tools for guiding development.Read Less
- Contributor(s)Wanda T. Wallace
- Narrator(s) Eileen Stevens
- About the Contributor(s) Wanda Wallace, Phd., is a managing partner of Leadership Forum Inc. She coaches, facilitates, and speaks on improving leadership by...Wanda Wallace, Phd., is a managing partner of Leadership Forum Inc. She coaches, facilitates, and speaks on improving leadership by improving the quality of conversations. She specializes in helping women and men get to the top, stick, and thrive. She works with world-renowned financial services companies and other blue-chip clients. Previously, Wanda Wallace was executive vice president at Duke Corporate Education, Inc., associate dean of executive education at the Fuqua School of Business at Duke University, as well as an assistant professor of marketing. She divides her time between New York City and London. show more
- Publish Date06/18/2019
- Format Digital Audio - Unabridged Edition
- Running Time005:19:38
- Price $14.69
eBook Details: eBooks purchased here are fulfilled by our partner, Glose. Please note that:
- For all eBook purchases, you will be prompted to create an account or login with your existing Leadership Essentials username and password. This ensures accurate delivery of your items.
- To access your eBook(s) after purchasing, you can download the free Glose app or read instantly on your browser by logging into Glose.com. To log in, select OTHER SIGN IN/LOGIN OPTIONS and then click SIGN IN/LOG IN WITH HARPERCOLLINS, using the same email address and password used for your Leadership Essentials account.
- E-Books fulfilled through Glose cannot be printed, downloaded as PDF, or read in other digital readers (like Kindle or Nook).
- For more information about how to access eBooks purchased on Leadership Essentials, click here for our FAQs.
- At checkout, you will be prompted to create an account (or login to your existing Leadership Essentials account). You will use the same username and password to log in to the eCourse portal and access your courses.
- After purchase, you will receive a confirmation email from us with a link to the portal and your eCourse(s).
- Please note: If you are purchasing eCourses in bulk for your team or organization, please email firstname.lastname@example.org after your purchase with your order number and the name of your organization. We will be in touch with you to set up your team on the platform.
- If you have questions about eCourses, feel free to reach out to us via Live Chat at the bottom right corner of your screen, by submitting a ticket to our customer service team, or by calling us at 1-800-250-5308. For more information check out our FAQs here.