Building on the Promise of Diversity: How We Can Move to the Next Level in Our Workplaces, Our Communities, and Our Society
- Regular price
- Sale price
This book is an impassioned wake-up call to bring diversity management to a new level -- beyond finger-pointing and well-meaning “initiatives”, and toward the shared goal of building robust organizations and thriving communities.
Leading diversity expert R. Roosevelt Thomas, Jr. has has continually raised the bar on how we think and act on a complex array of diversity issues and states that despite good intentions and hard work, most organizations are stuck in their diversity efforts. In our communities and our workplaces, a feeling of frustration has emerged as the promise of the Civil Rights Movement and affirmative action has become overly politicized and polarizing. Managing diversity is not a new issue, however, it is both a hallmark and core challenge that organizations and society have confronted since the founding of America, "an experiment in diversity."
This original, thoughtful, yet action-oriented book will help leaders in any setting -- business, religious, educational, governmental, community groups, and more -- break out of the status quo and reinvigorate the can-do spirit of making things better. The book includes a deeply felt analysis of the tangled intersections between diversity management, the Civil Rights Movement, and affirmative action agendas…and a roadmap for mastering the powerful craft of Strategic Diversity Management™, a structured process that helps you:
- Realize why multiple activities and good intentions are not enough for achieving sustainable progress.
- Recast the meaning of diversity as more than just race and gender, but as any set of differences, similarities, and tensions.
- Accept that a realistic goal is not to eliminate diversity tension but to use it as a catalyst to address key issues.
- Recognize diversity mixtures, analyze them accurately, and make quality decisions amid differences, similarities, and tensions.
- Build an essential set of diversity skills and develop your “diversity maturity” -- the wisdom, judgment, and experience to use those skills effectively.
- Reflect on the ways you might be “diversity challenged” yourself.
Whether you let diversity be a drain on your organization or a dynamic contributor to your mission, vision, and strategy is both a choice and a challenge. Building on the Promise of Diversity gives you the insights and skills you need to navigate through simmering tensions -- and find creative solutions for achieving cohesiveness, connectedness, and common goals.Read Less
- Contributor(s)R. Thomas
- About the Contributor(s) R. ROOSEVELT THOMAS, Jr., Ph.D. (Atlanta, GA) one of America's most respected authorities on diversity issues, is CEO of R....R. ROOSEVELT THOMAS, Jr., Ph.D. (Atlanta, GA) one of America's most respected authorities on diversity issues, is CEO of R. Thomas Consulting Training, Inc. and founder of the American Institute for Managing Diversity. He is the author of Beyond Race and Gender (AMACOM 0-8144-7807-7) and Redefining Diversity (AMACOM 0-8144-0228-3). M show more
- Publish Date10/24/2005
- Format Softcover
- Weight (lbs)1.93 lb
- Case Weight (lbs)1.93 lb
- Dimensions 13.5(h) x 10.0(w) x 5.5(d) inches
- Price $15.37
eBook Details: eBooks purchased here are fulfilled by our partner, Glose. Please note that:
- For all eBook purchases, you will be prompted to create an account or login with your existing Leadership Essentials username and password. This ensures accurate delivery of your items.
- To access your eBook(s) after purchasing, you can download the free Glose app or read instantly on your browser by logging into Glose.com. To log in, select OTHER SIGN IN/LOGIN OPTIONS and then click SIGN IN/LOG IN WITH HARPERCOLLINS, using the same email address and password used for your Leadership Essentials account.
- E-Books fulfilled through Glose cannot be printed, downloaded as PDF, or read in other digital readers (like Kindle or Nook).
- For more information about how to access eBooks purchased on Leadership Essentials, click here for our FAQs.
- At checkout, you will be prompted to create an account (or login to your existing Leadership Essentials account). You will use the same username and password to log in to the eCourse portal and access your courses.
- After purchase, you will receive a confirmation email from us with a link to the portal and your eCourse(s).
- Please note: If you are purchasing eCourses in bulk for your team or organization, please email firstname.lastname@example.org after your purchase with your order number and the name of your organization. We will be in touch with you to set up your team on the platform.
- If you have questions about eCourses, feel free to reach out to us via Live Chat at the bottom right corner of your screen, by submitting a ticket to our customer service team, or by calling us at 1-800-250-5308. For more information check out our FAQs here.