Founder vs Investor: The Honest Truth About Venture Capital from Startup to IPO
- Regular price
- Sale price
A no-holds-barred look into the minds, motivations, and machinations of how investors and founders team up to build a successful startup, debated in a brazenly honest way by two of the best in the business.
People imagine that the best way for founders to build billion-dollar startups is to team up with venture capitalists. The founder brings the vision and drive, the investor brings the money and years of experience, and both benefit from each other’s expertise.
This is a mirage, and one that both founders and investors unconsciously create to avoid some hard truths. It starts from a good place—the desire for success is the same—and yet the journey is long, and motivations are wildly different. So different, in fact, that even their respective definitions of success wildly diverge. The result is that they often find themselves at odds while simultaneously believing the other just doesn’t get it. Misunderstanding, mistrust, boardroom drama, fired founders, and failed companies are the result.
For the partnership to work as smoothly as possible (which may not be so smoothly), they need to understand what is going on in the other’s head. Why does the founder respond so badly when the investor pushes to grow faster? Why doesn’t the investor want to sell the company for a seemingly great return? What are the motivations behind their behavior?
Founder Elizabeth Zalman and investor Jerry Neumann lay bare these insider motivations, based on decades of experience, inhabiting their roles in this one-of-a-kind book. Zalman and Neumann square off, providing a brazenly honest debate on how startups are built, broken, and fought over throughout a company’s lifecycle:
- Building relationships
- Raising money
- Scaling the business
- Working together on the board of directors
- Exiting the business
- Contributor(s)Elizabeth Joy Zalman , Jerry Neumann
- About the Contributor(s) Elizabeth Zalman is an infrastructure and information security expert. She is a two-time founder and CEO of venture-backed companies, building...
Elizabeth Zalman is an infrastructure and information security expert. She is a two-time founder and CEO of venture-backed companies, building the first to a successful exit and the second to a multi-hundred-million-dollar business. Elizabeth has raised more than $100 million in venture capital from the most renowned investors in the world. She is a frequent speaker and guest at industry events and tech podcasts, in addition to being an investor and advisor herself.
Jerry Neumann is a twenty-five-year veteran of venture capital. He has invested in some of the most successful venture-funded companies of the past three decades, including Datadog and Trade Desk, and has worked alongside dozens of entrepreneurs as investor, board member, and advisor. Jerry also teaches entrepreneurship at Columbia University, and authors articles on his popular blog, ReactionWheel.net.show more
- Publish Date09/12/2023
- PublisherHarperCollins Leadership
- Format eBook
- Price $10.99
eBook Details: eBooks purchased here are fulfilled by our partner, Glose. Please note that:
- For all eBook purchases, you will be prompted to create an account or login with your existing Leadership Essentials username and password. This ensures accurate delivery of your items.
- To access your eBook(s) after purchasing, you can download the free Glose app or read instantly on your browser by logging into Glose.com. To log in, select OTHER SIGN IN/LOGIN OPTIONS and then click SIGN IN/LOG IN WITH HARPERCOLLINS, using the same email address and password used for your Leadership Essentials account.
- E-Books fulfilled through Glose cannot be printed, downloaded as PDF, or read in other digital readers (like Kindle or Nook).
- For more information about how to access eBooks purchased on Leadership Essentials, click here for our FAQs.
Ecourses purchased at Leadership Essentials are accessed through our online learning portal (or visit https://courses.hcleadershipessentials.com)
- At checkout, you will be prompted to create an account (or login to your existing Leadership Essentials account). You will use the same username and password to log in to the eCourse portal and access your courses.
- After purchase, you will receive a confirmation email from us with a link to the portal and your eCourse(s).
- Please note: If you are purchasing eCourses in bulk for your team or organization, please email email@example.com after your purchase with your order number and the name of your organization. We will be in touch with you to set up your team on the platform.
- If you have questions about eCourses, feel free to reach out to us via Live Chat at the bottom right corner of your screen, by submitting a ticket to our customer service team, or by calling us at 1-800-250-5308. For more information check out our FAQs here.